Proper Facial Growth
Treatment to Guide Your Child's Growth & Development
While orthodontics involves changing the positions of the teeth, dentofacial orthopedics in Grand Rapids, MI, involves guiding the growth and development of the bones of the face, particularly the upper and lower jaws.
These treatments work best when they’re done at a younger age before children reach puberty when there is more potential to change the shapes and sizes of bones.
Dr. Karl offers effective treatment to promote proper facial growth for your child.
Why Dentofacial Orthopedics?
Dentofacial orthopedics in young children is advantageous because their teeth have not finished erupting; this allows us to guide their tooth eruption and address any problems at the earliest possible stage. Whether your child needs removable or fixed appliances, early orthodontic treatment can help to:
- Provide more room for crowded erupting teeth
- Preserve space for teeth that have not yet erupted
- Create facial symmetry by guiding jaw growth
- Reduce the possible need for tooth extraction
- Reduce the overall treatment time
When you bring your child to our practice, Dr. Karl will be able to determine whether treatment is needed and when it should begin.
Dr. Karl offers two appliances to help guide your child's facial growth and development.
- Herbst Appliance - A Herbst appliance is used to correct an overbite within 12 months. Over time, the appliance encourages the movement of the lower jaw and upper molars into proper alignment. The Herbst appliance works by keeping the lower jaw from shifting backward during the opening and closing movement of the mouth. The appliance is attached to the back molars on the upper and lower jaws with bands that are set into position.
- Palatal Expander - The Palatal Expander is used by applying light pressure to the upper jaw. This pressure is utilized to expand the upper jaw. Dr. Karl will be able to provide simple instructions to ensure that the expansion of your child's jaw is in proper alignment. In order to retain results, the palatal expander should be worn until instructed by Dr. Karl to solidify your child's treatment.
Schedule your child's appointment today to learn more about how dentofacial orthopedics can benefit your child.
Learn More About Dentofacial Orthopedics in Grand Rapids, MI
To experience our 5-star-rated orthodontic care, schedule your Free New Patient Consultation today by calling (616) 459-7171. You may also use our convenient online form. Your appointment includes the following:
- Discuss Your Goals
- Digital X-Rays & Pictures
- Complete Exam
- Custom Treatment Plan
- Free Copy of Dr. Karl’s Book, Start Smiling Again: Your Guide to Obtaining A Beautiful Smile
During your appointment, we will take the time to explain our approach to treatment and answer any questions you may have. We look forward to helping you achieve your healthiest smile!